Monday, June 27, 2011

Gravity of the Instruments Giving In

This week I decided to write about our sound and how we get our sound that particular way by writing about our equipment and the significance of each piece.
I (Michael) use a Ibanez Artcore six string as my main guitar. This particular guitar is known as a hollowbody because it is hollow on the inside. The hollowbody gives the guitar a richer, resonant,"classy" sound. I use larger gauge strings because I use a lower tuning and I feel that the thicker strings hold drop tuning better. I use standard tuning in D, drop tuned down a whole step which is (CGCFAD- I think that's right). I use the lower tuning because I love the extra low end range, and I think it sounds bigger!
I use a DigiTech RP200a multi effects processor for all of the guitar/bass effects because it has a bunch of sounds I can combine and edit to my own specifations. I use primarily distortion, overdrive, chorus, and delay effect combinations. The RP200a also has some cheesey drum tracks on-board that I use from time to time that are fun to jam along with. You can hear them on the song Outer Space.
The keyboard we use is an Alesis Micron which is only 36 keys but it is a powerhouse of sound! We compose all of the sounds we like and arrange them to where we need them. This is easier said than done some days! I really enjoy using the keyboard because of the range of sound and emotion you can make in an instant-very cool!
Lizi uses a Sammick bass, which is a company that in the past 10 years were finally able to make their own name brand equipment. For years they have crafted guitars and basses for all of the big name guitar companies. Lizi plays a four string Sammick bass that packs mean punch, and lays down great grooves. Its like an all weather vehicle- ready for anything!
All of these instruments and effects are what give us our sound. We feel each piece gives every nuance of our music its own special quality that otherwise would not be part of the Gravity Giving In mélange.

No comments:

Post a Comment