Saturday, June 25, 2011

How, What, When, Why...and Future?

I started playing music at an early age and have been immersed in it my whole life. My wife had a more gradual approach and then she embraced the hell out of it! (she's a classically trained opera singer and genius writer) I learned to play guitar by playing guitar tabs online when I was 14, and I never learned any proper musical theory or ever even took any music classes. *that's a lie I was in general choir in 6th grade I learned the do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do thing and how to play "hot cross buns" on a sh**y plastic recorder. Basically, I just learned what I wanted and developed my style accordingly- which I call faking it.

I sang in the only bands I was ever in growing up while still playing guitar as a hobby. It was at some point I got tired of all the politics between band-mates so I quit doing "the band thing" and I learned to do it all myself. It took some time to learn keyboards and drum tracking, and it wasn't until last year that I was finally able to play guitar and sing at the same time (yay!!! And it only took thirteen years). But, all the new skills and instrumental abilities aside, it's a lonely world if you live like that, and you shut everyone out. So, I decided that if I ever was in a band again I would want my wife by my side. She is amazing, and I wouldn't be the amazing person I am without her- and musically it just made sense that she would have the same effect. Lizi doesn't have as much free time as I do to write, and she just recently started playing bass. (this was because after we decided to jam together we didn't know if we wanted her to play... drums or bass- because she has a natural ability to rock at anything, it was more a matter of what best suited her. Eventually, we decided bass suited her more than drumming, and she's getting pretty good already) So for now I pretty much write the songs "raw", and then she helps shape them into "cooked and delicious". Soon she will take full ownership of writing bass lines with her skillful precision and entusiasm, as well as adding electronic elements and phenominal vocals! We have a great dynamic together no matter what we do, and I can't wait to see the future of Gravity Giving In!

No comments:

Post a Comment